Monday, December 22, 2008

Free to be ... Snowed in

As a thank-you gift for hosting her family, my old friend Kirsten sent my kids “Free to Be … You and Me” – both the CD (just songs) and the DVD. We watched it together yesterday, which should have been the last day of school before the holiday break but turned out to be a snow day. I think I enjoyed having a snow day as much as my kids did. Craig didn’t go to work yesterday because the roads were too treacherous, and we turned the day off of school into a family day of playing hooky. My six-year-old had a nasty cough, so even playing outside in the newly fallen snow seemed ill-advised. Instead of scurrying about, as we would have on a typical busy Friday just before a holiday, we lounged in our jammies, played board games, listened to Craig tune his guitar, and foraged for food in our near-empty cupboard (sodium-free lentil soup with crumbled Goldfish crackers, anyone?).

As enjoyable as the day was, the highlight for me was watching “Free to Be … You and Me” with my kids. I learned from reading the insert that the show was created in 1974, when I was four years old. My elementary school showed it during assemblies at least once a year between kindergarten and sixth grade. I knew most of it by heart. Craig claims to have never even heard of it
[1]and, I could tell, had to restrain himself from mocking me when my eyes welled up during the opening scene. Of course, the production values are cheesy – it is 35 years old, after all – but the image really got to me: live-action, goofy little 70’s kids in their bell bottoms and stripes travel around and around on a merry-go-round, happily oblivious to the limits of their circular path, until they become animated cartoon figures, riding swift horses that leap off of the merry-go-round and race freely across the countryside.

The kids on horses were my favorite part of the show, but my children liked the talking baby puppets the most. They dissolved into giggles every time Mel Brooks’ voice came out of the little bald baby’s mouth. They were particularly amused when he insisted that he was a girl. “I want to be a cocktail waitress when I grow up. See! I’m a girl!” (Can Mel Brooks' voice sound anything other than sarcastic?) They also enjoyed the story of Atalanta, the fleet princess who refuses to marry unless a suitor beats her in a footrace, but meets her match in young John, who agrees that she should not marry until she travels the world, just as she wishes. My daughter seemed to enjoy the princess element of the story, and my son enjoyed the race scene.

Another scene that I found both entertaining and bizarre was the Michael Jackson song about growing up. He looks like he’s about fifteen in the video (which makes him about 50 years old now – this seems impossible to me). He also looks like a nice, normal kid with fashionably disheveled nappy hair and chocolate-brown skin. What happened to this kid to turn him into the bleached, emaciated recluse that he is today?

For that matter, what happened to Atalanta and those silly babies? The messages in the video (girls can be anything they want to be, it’s OK for boys to play with dolls and cry, everyone is equal and worthy of friendship no matter what they look like) are self-evident, but even now, after more than a third of a century, need reinforcement. Sure, there has been progress – a multiracial president-elect, a greater variety of powerful female role models for my daughter to look up to – but there are still powerful stereotypes that limit our potential and, if we’re not careful, our kids’ potential as individuals. Hollywood starlets are still starving themselves, and tough guys still (usually) finish first.

Watching the video with my kids reminded me of all of the resolutions that I had when I was younger, before I had kids, about the egalitarian Utopia that would be my home. I would work in a high-powered career (with, perhaps, a stay-at-home husband) and also be a perfect hands-on mother who raised her perfect children to be proud of their gender-neutral life choices and have lots of multicultural, socio-economically diverse friends. No Barbie dolls or toy guns in my home, thank you very much, and definitely no Disney movies.

This vision, I must report, is a far cry from the reality of my life. I worked in a “high-powered” job for the first two years of my son’s life, but have been pretty much a full-time stay-at-home mom since then. My kids have some degree of diversity among their friends, but it’s not quite what I imagined it would be. My daughter is crazy about both Disney princesses and Barbie dolls, and, while I have managed to stick to the no-toy-guns resolution, my son is quite adept at swordplay with his collection of light sabers.

I wonder how much my failure to stick to my guns is limiting my kids’ perspective, so that they fall back on the predictable choices when they imagine their futures. When somebody asks my son what he wants to be when he grows up, he says “Football player” – a running back for the Steelers, to be exact. Not a teacher or a fashion designer or a chef. A football player. When somebody asks my daughter, she says “I want to be a Mommy.” The first time she said this, I suppressed my dismay and patiently explained that she can be more than a mommy. “You can be a mommy and a doctor or a mommy and an astronaut or a mommy and an artist.” Upon hearing this, she considered for a moment and then “OK, Mommy and Artist.” The second time, her teacher asked her this question in my presence and again, without missing a beat, she answered “Mommy.” I again launched my counteroffensive but she immediately shut me down. She insisted, “No, just a Mommy.”

Her teacher tried to make me feel better by pointing out that I should feel flattered -- my daughter thinks that being a mommy is the best job in the world. I can’t say I disagree. On a snowy day, with a cupboard filled only with canned soup, cuddled up on the sofa with two warm little flannel-jammied bodies, listening to the strum of a live guitar, I can honestly say that I wish for nothing more for myself. But I don’t want my own complacency to dictate my children’s futures. I want them to learn about all the vast possibilities the world holds for them, to jump off our comfortable suburban merry-go-round, knowing that they are always welcome to jump back on, and follow their own paths across the unrestricted terrain.


But I do wonder what motivation they will have to make that leap. If my daughter is a happy princess enjoying a comfortable ride in a luxury coach, she may not care that she's going in circles. She may never wonder what adventures lie beyond the merry-go-round. Of course, I want her, and my son, to be happy and comfortable (what parent wishes for difficult lives for their children?), but if it's too happy and comfortable, how will they learn how to stand up for themselves, or even how to define their true, authentic selves? Even though I know that, as their parent, it will be hard to watch, I hope that they confront some good solid obstacles as they grow up. Not the kind that could seriously mess them up, like, God forbid, getting really sick or being abused, but some not-too-harmful character-building challenges would be nice. Like only getting scholarships to Princeton when they have their hearts set on Harvard. Yes, that would work.


[1] To be fair, I spoke to two other friends who also claim to have never heard of it. In case you are one of the deprived few, here is a brief description from Wikipedia: “Free to Be… You and Me is a record album and illustrated songbook for children, first released in November 1972, and later in 1974 as a television special, featuring songs and stories from celebrities (credited as "Marlo Thomas and Friends"). Using poetry, songs, and sketches, the basic concept was to salute values such as individuality, tolerance, and happiness with one's identity; a major thematic message is that anyone, whether a boy or a girl, can achieve anything one wants.”

No comments: